Advanced Level focuses on arts organizations viewed as institutions within their communities that have consistent arts and cultural programming.
Such organizations must document a track record of quality presentations and commitment to and from their community. Allowable projects include fund raising, long-range planning, program development, facility development, board development and expansion. Special programmatic initiatives in the planning stages of the proposed application should also address the long-term stability of the institution. Implementation Awards up to $20,000 may be awarded. Recipients must present a budget that shows $40,000 ($20,000 PCA and $20,000 match) of activity for a combination of staffing, program activity, and/or consulting. Applications are accepted annually for a maximum of 3 years.
The applicant must have:
• A minimum average fiscal size of approximately $125,000
• A Federal I.D. Number and 501(c)(3) status
• A formal, structured board of directors; a salaried staff of two or more with at least two full-time staff members
• Demonstrated use of volunteers
• A formal bookkeeping system and yearly audit; regular office hours and accessible place of business
• Established long-range plan (for at least three years);
• Demonstrated marketing program
• Evidence of structured annual fund raising activities
• Established community support and awareness program
• A minimum of ten consecutive years of operation
In general, the PCA does not fund the following:
• Capital expenditures, including equipment costing $500 or more per item
• Activities for which post-secondary academic credit is given
• Activities that have already been completed
• Activities that have a religious purpose
• Performances and exhibitions not available to the general public
• Performances and exhibitions outside Pennsylvania
• Cash prizes and awards
• Benefit activities
• Hospitality expenses, i.e., receptions, parties, gallery openings
• Lobbyists’ payments
Advisory Panel Review Process
Advisory panels convene every year to review applications and to make recommendations to the Council for support. The advisory panel will apply the following weighted criteria to an applicant’s past and current performance to determine a recommended award amount.
Application Review Criteria
Quality of Artistic Product/Process/Service - 35 points
Access to the Arts - 35 points
Management - 30 points
Step 1: Required online application process
You must apply to the PCA on-line through eGRANT
Step 2: Data Collection (financial and statistical) summary
form specifically for Preserving Diverse Cultures (PDC) collects information such as income and expenses, investments, loans, physical capacity, attendance, program activity and staff numbers. This is a separate PACDP form to complete and the PDC Report must be printed to be mailed with the printed eGRANT.
Step 3: Print, sign, and mail
The completed application must be submitted online, printed, signed by the necessary members of your organizations and combined with the printed PACDP form that is for the Preserving Diverse Cultures Program.
Mail the completed application to the following address:
Pennsylvania Council on the Arts
Preserving Diverse Cultures Division
Room 216, Finance Building
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17120